“arroz con leche” By: Cristina L. Morales, MPH RDN LD
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Servings: 4 (Serving size = ½ cup per person)
- 1 cup uncooked rice makes 3 cups cooked rice.
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice makes 4 cups cooked rice.
- 1 cup Brown Rice
- 1 ½ cups Water
- Pinch Salt
- 1 cup Organic Coconut Milk
- 1 ½ cups Organic Cow’s milk (May substitute all milk with plant based milks (Almond or Coconut). For less fat and calories, use Organic Fat-Free milk.
- ¾ – 1 cup Organic Coconut Sugar
- Substitute: Non-caloric sweetener (Recommend Organic Stevia)
- 1 ½ tablespoons Organic Ground Cinnamon (1/2 tablespoon set to side)
In a 6 quart Pot, add water, rice, and salt, gently stir 1-2 times, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low-medium. Cook for about 10-15 minutes. Then, check rice for doneness (want rice to be soft, not mushy). Reduce heat to simmer. Add milks, sugar, and 1 tablespoon cinnamon, gently stir around 1-2 times. Hint: Liquid should be about level with the rice. Simmer for 5 minutes. [TIP: during simmering time, keep an eye on the water level, if too low, add about ½ cup of water or more milk. After simmering, check for tenderness, if softer rice is desired, cover with lid and simmer for 5-10 more minutes. After rice is cooked, let set for 2-3 minutes. Fill serving cups with ½ cup of cooked rice, add 2- 3 tablespoon of cold milk; stir and top with cinnamon sprinkles as desired. Serve and enjoy!